Thursday, August 16, 2012

My HEART is against bullying!

So, as I was dabbling in The Dollhouse today (my favorite group on CM and some of my best cyber and real-life girlfriends ever)...there was a song posted that's sung by a couple of precious girls from YouTube. It touched my heart, and since I wanted to write in here today, and really couldn't think of anything...this opened the door to something that I'm very passionate about! But first, here's the video that inspired this subject.
I really, truly hope and pray that my girls have beautiful souls that just shine for others. I want them to be accepting of all of their peers (doesn't mean they have to be friends), and for them to be non-judgmental, to realize that we are all made different and unique and that really, the world would be pretty darn boring if we were all the same. I think it's important to me to teach my kids that even when we may not "approve" of another person's lifestyle or their choices...we still treat them with kindness and respect and equality. Everyone is free to make their own choices. Not just by this country, but by my God. It is not, nor will it ever be, my place to decide what should be for them (and I'm not saying that I or my kids or anyone else shouldn't have convictions or beliefs or opinions and stand for them). We will each be responsible for our choices. Yes, sometimes we'll have to deal with consequences of those choices from the law, or from the church, or from society...but really, every person will be judged by God at the end of this life. In school, my girls will see people who are labeled as jocks, preps, goths, geeks...there will be those snobby girls that make other girls feel like they are less than they are. There will be loners who immerse themselves in books or writing or music. There will be kids who like to party and drink and smoke pot. There will be goody-goody kids that claim to be (and quite possibly are) Christians, but who heap judgment on others. There will be those who truly are Jesus followers and lead others to Him. I hope that my girls fall somewhere in this group: good kids who know that they are God's children, who can look at anyone and wonder "what is their story?", who, when they see someone who seems lonely or hurt, they make an effort to reach out to them. I want my girls to KNOW who they are and what they stand for. I know the struggles that kids go through these days. It scares the crap outta me. I'm not totally sure yet how I can do my part in molding them to be what I hope for. I have a lot of ideas, but obviously there are no guarantees! I know that my example means a lot. I know that raising them in the love of Christ and His promises and showing them how to feel secure and confident in that will go a long way. Teaching them about self-esteem (a whole different issue), my openness and honesty with them, letting them be individuals and experience growth (sometimes this comes through our own mistakes)...all of these things will play a part. Gosh, there's just so much! This goes so deep. And I think I have gone in all different directions with my thoughts on this! For that I apologize (many interruptions from a certain 3 year old played a part in that). 

Now to get on with my day...all of those FUN things like cleaning, folding laundry, doing dishes, picking up. Oh the life of a mommy and wife! That makes me think of another subject I could write about! See? This writing thing is good for me. As I express my struggles in areas that I battle daily (my ability to keep my home more clean and organized, my marriage, my patience as a mommy, etc) I hope that writing it out and feeling obligated to show growth and change will, well...help me grow and change. So, let me get to it! Enjoy my ramblings and cluttered (like my house) thoughts. Haha They come out the same way as a my home looks....all over the place and just totally unorganized. :-)

Until next time.....

3 comments:

Laura (LouLou) said...

I completely agree with you and relate to how you want your girls to grow, learn, and treat others.
I want the same for my girls.

PS I am so glad you are blogging again, I love hearing your words

Janna Lynn said...

Aw, thanks Laura Lou! I've been enjoying reading yours, too...I just need to get better about commenting on things! Love ya :-)

Unknown said...

What a really great post! The first step in anti-bullying for parents is to be sure we are not raising bullies!